Sonya Sanford (37)
Executive Chef & Entrepreneur
· Sonya is opening Beet Root Market & Deli as a, "modern deli" the entire concept of the Deli is to elevate Jewish cuisine and bring it into the modern era with a global sensibility.
· She will still have traditional menu items like Matzah Ball soup but also adding dishes from across the Jewish diaspora - including using ingredients from North Africa, the Middle East, and Eastern Europe.
· She grew up with food being the center of her family traditions. As the child of Russian immigrants, her family rarely went out to eat, so she is well-versed in cooking, foraging, gardening and pickling food as not to waste anything.
· Became a personal chef while living in Los Angeles and had a celebrity clientele. Also did food styling, culinary producing and food writing for Jewish publications.
· Has a passion for modern, Jewish cooking from around the world. Her dream job as a kids was a "cooking show host".
· She is a "nerd for produce" and will geek-out over the perfect head of lettuce. When traveling, she prefers hitting up local farmers markets over museums!
· She is know for her "bougie" Latkes which are made from potato, sweet potato or zucchini and topped with lox/fish roe and crème fraîche. Her sufganiyot are a big hit as she uses local preserves for the filling.
· She is a self-admitted perfectionist, she is demanding on herself and knows what good plating and delicious flavor means, and she isn’t satisfied until she’s met her own high standards